Saturday, January 26, 2013

Squash Attack

As I've developed a more intuitive eating habit over the years, it has become clear to me the importance of eating foods that are seasonal and preparing them in an appropriate manor. According to Ayurveda and my body (an even more scientifically accurate source, if you ask me) the winter months are the best time to prepare lots of root vegetables in a longer cooking process. I bring you: my squash obsession! 

Squash is low in fat and extremely high in fiber and anti-oxidenets. It is also full of potassium, folate and B6 which aids in immune system function. The bright orange color of squash indicates the an abundance of powerhouse nutrients known as carotenoids, shown to protect against heart disease. In particular, the gourd boasts very high levels of beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A), identified as a deterrent against breast cancer and age-related macular degeneration.* It is also thought to be anti-inflammatory due to the high anti-oxident content, which is especially vital in the cold winter months. 


Like I mentioned, I have been enjoying squash in numerous forms. The other day I bought an entire butternut squash. I cut off the hallow bottom, sliced in half, scooped out the seeds (which I later roasted) and stuffed them with marinated mushrooms and fresh rosemary. Mmm. I cubed the rest and coated in coconut oil and sea salt before  roasting in a 400 decree oven for 40 mins and placing under the broiler for 10 minutes. I have yet to meet a squash I don't love. 

In other breaking news...check out my little "urban garden" I've got going on. The tin can has celery and those are salad sprouts on the right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment