Monday, August 23, 2010

the white on rice


After eating out for every meal as a group of 43+, I finally cooked a meal for myself last night! I cooked up some of that brown rice with dried mushrooms and some carrot and onion. I soaked the rice overnight before cooking (as per usual) but when I went to bring the water to a boil I noticed that most of the "brown" part of the rice had fallen off and tinted the soaking water. After cooking and eating the rice, I have come to the conclusion that it is just white rice with brown magic marker on top. I'm only kidding (I hope) but this definitely is not normal brown rice and I can't seem to find it anywhere!!! I don't understand why a. it is so hard to find brown rice and b. why it is more expensive if is actually less processed than white?! I came across this article that describes brown rice vs white rice from an environmental and health perspective. Everything here appears to be the least nutritious version, yet more expensive and environmentally damaging.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I don't eat brown rice much firstly because it took forever to cook and seocndly it was a little more expensive.

    ReplyDelete