a silly little survey i copped from http://prideandvegudice.com/:
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? soy/rice milk blend from Eden
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? Sweet potato and kale quesedillas, oven baked oatmeal sounds sooo good, and this vegan pizza with roasted garlic coconut cream and sun dried tomatoes is just genius!
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? just made some "chipotle-cheese" stove top popcorn. i topped it with some earth balance right out of the pot and then sprinkled on plenty of nutritional yeast, paprika and some salt :)
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? anytime i get home from class or work and feel too tired to cook anything so i eat a bunch of snacks while staring into the refrigerator...i consider that to be meal failure.
5. Favorite pickled item? i.love.kimchi.
6. How do you organize your recipes? i bookmark all the delicious recipes that i find online or i will bookmark the recipe index or home page of blog that i think is just awesome and want to check frequency.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? i'm happy to say that my roommate and i had a compost under our bathroom sink when i lived in southern california in a dorm my freshman year. i would love to compost in my apartment now that i live in brooklyn but we have enough uninvited critters already.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)? kale (duh), brown rice and chickpeas (so i could make hummus!)
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? buying lobsters live from the store and then bringing them home and keeping them in our bathtub until we cooked them for dinner. my brother and i would have pretend lobster fights and choose which one was "ours". i can't even imagine playing with a live animal and then consuming it shortly after, but i thought it was cool at the time.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Lula's Sweet Apothecary in the east village. they have vegan soft serve made from cashew milk!!!
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? magic bullet, hands down.
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Cinnamon! It goes with sweet and savory!
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? err the internet? my first vegan cookbook, or more of an instruction manual that opened my eyes to the world of veganism was The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? hmm i just got some really good blueberry jam...
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? probably baked goods on the junkier side like chocolate chip cookies or something like that. my homemade granola is always a hit too.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? tempeh! it’s the closest to its whole state, has the best texture, and who doesn’t love that rich, fermented taste? plus, um, tempeh bacon. Duh.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? brunch
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? a really old jug of Carlo Rossi, a box of flexi straws, ice pop holders, solo cups, some empty liquor bottles...hmmm i should really pay more attention up there
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. frozen fruit, bulk grains and flours (keeps longer) pizza dough
20. What’s on your grocery list? garlic scapes, kale, whatever looks good at the farmers market!
21. Favorite grocery store? Trader Joe’s and 4th Street Food Coop!
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet. hmmm i want to make my own veggie burgers, but those are already veganized
23. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3? Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Life because i love everything that woman does, Sweet Beet and Green Bean has beautiful pictures and Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit because that chick is mad funny.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? hmmm probs Endangered Species dark chocolate, soooo many flavors. the espresso bean one and the ginger one are both so flame!
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? i don't know about "extravagant" but i just bought a package of 50 pieces of nori seaweed to bring with me to Africa and it cost $30 so it felt pretty "extravagant" at the time but i know i will totally use all of it.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with? i don't know that i'm "scared" to work with any particular ingredients, but do have a tendency to stray from food replacements like fake meats, cheese and eggs. instead i prefer to use real foods that don't necessarily replicate but stand as their own in dishes.